What Is Marketing Strategy? It May Not Be What You Thought It Was.
Everyone knows the importance of marketing their business. And so they try to come up with a “Marketing Strategy” to do so.
But the big question is, what is marketing strategy?
Marketing consultant, Kimberly Palmer, gives a detailed breakdown of what a marketing strategy is, and what it isn’t.
What is marketing strategy? And more importantly – what ISN’T marketing strategy?
So here’s my ‘line in the sand’ on marketing strategy:
Good marketing strategy – What it is:
– Something that ultimately can be summarized to a page (or better still, a paragraph)
– A brave or bold choice that you need to stick with for AT LEAST a year
– Something that all your tactical marketing activities must tie back to
– Articulates what’s special or different about your business (or how you’re going to become special or different)
Good marketing strategy – What it isn’t:
– A bunch of tactical activities on a calendar. You need these too, but that’s a marketing action plan, not a strategy.
– A lot of big and waffly words
– Only about the size of your budget
– Something you can ask someone to define for you, or make a firm recommendation about, after a brief meeting!
There you have it. Marketing strategy defined. Do you agree or disagree with this definition? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
See you tomorrow for our post about women on More Than Rubies.